Theme: Unlocking developmental potential within rural areas
The Virtual Rural Development week will showcase successful projects and case studies to provide any potential participants in this sector with the critical practical knowledge to get started or improve existing initiatives. Along with the opportunity to establish useful networks, glean from the NGOs, investors and developers involved in successful micro to medium sized projects who will come together to share valuable concepts, experience and innovation.
6 Key Benefits of Attending
Mrs Thamo Mzobe
Chief Executive Officer
National Development Agency
- Read Speaker BioMrs Thamo Mzobe, a social and community development activist, is the Chief Executive Officer of the National Development Agency (NDA). She is a seasoned strategist and innovative civil servant who pioneered a provincial NPO Directorate. Currently, she is invested in the fight for poverty eradication and champions linkages of Civil Society Organisations and SMMEs to economic opportunities which contribute to their growth and sustainability. She is, and has always been, a committed servant leader who is passionate about the development and implementation of innovative strategies towards fighting poverty and improving sustainable livelihoods for vulnerable communities.Her voice on human and community empowerment has been heard at various platforms, including in Zimbabwe, Malawi and Namibia, where she contributed to high level strategies to enhance productivity levels in young women from rural and remote areas of Africa to advance them into positions of leadership within societies.
Head: Small Business Finance and Regions
- Read Speaker BioMr. Manoj Seonath is a Chartered Accountant by profession with his Masters in Commerce. He served his articles at Deloittes and has been with the IDC for the past 17 years. He has significant experience in deal making, financial structuring and risk assessment. He has also successfully completed the GIBS Executive Development Programme (2012).He also plays an active role in Training and Development at the IDC. Manoj has occupied various positions over the years at the IDC, including Senior Dealmaker, Regional Manager (KZN), Head of Operations and Regions and currently is the Head of Small Business Finance and Regions at the IDC. He is passionate about making a difference, especially with regards to employment creation and industrial development.
Chief Officer: Projects
- Read Speaker BioDavid Nefdt oversees project implementation at Casidra, which is a state-owned enterprise of the Western Cape Provincial Government with the mandate to support rural development. Casidra implements agricultural, rural infrastructure and business development projects to the value of R600 million throughout the Western Cape Province. David has a B. Econ degree from the University of the Western Cape and a B. Ed and M. Phil from the University of Stellenbosch. He has been involved in the development sector focusing on facilitation and programme development.
Chief Executive Officer
- Read Speaker BioAs the Chief Executive Office at Amadlelo Agri Mr Simpiwe Somdyala is tasked with the responsibility to lead and oversee the growth and transformation of the Amadlelo Group. Simpiwe has over 29 years’ experience spanning development finance, enterprise development and community development. He is passionate about the development of the agricultural sector and believes that, together with skills/education, infrastructure and digital transformation, agriculture will be the key driver of inclusive growth and economic transformation.Prior to joining Amadlelo Simpiwe was part of the leadership team at Old Mutual Limited, ran his own business and has worked for private and Development Finance Institutions.He serves on several non-governmental and private sector Boards holds a Hons BCom, MBA, EDP and other leadership development certificate programmes.
Angels Resource Centres
- Read Speaker BioLizelle is a Social Anthropologist who used her passion for working with people from different cultures to launch Angels Resource Centres. Angels is a Rural Development Implementation Centre, registered as a Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) dedicated to uplift, empower and enable people through various interventions. As Angels, our purpose is to IGNITE potential, INTEGRATE communities and positively IMPACT the world around us.
Dr Philip Coetzer
Senior Associate | Coetzer & Associates Southern & Eastern Africa
- Read Speaker BioPhilip Coetzer is a PhD graduate in Business Science, a seasoned Business Coach with a passion to develop young leaders. He is well known for development and sustainability efforts in communities across Southern Africa. He is a part-time officer in the Defence Reserves and also responsible for Strategy and Planning of Flagship Projects in the South African National Defence Force.
Sector Head Agriculture
Absa Corporate and Investment Bank
- Read Speaker BioRoux Wildenboer has 25 years of banking experience,of which the last 13 have been intimately involved in the agriculture sector. Banking experience include Frontline Positions in Business Banking and Corporate Banking, as well as spending 9 years as Credit Head in the agriculture and commodity finance teams. Educational qualifications comprises of a Bachelors of Commerce with Law, a Honours Degree in Economics and an MBA. His current responsibilities are those of Sector Head for Agriculture. Roux is a firm believer in the power of private enterprise as a force to achieve economic growth, but alos that public capacity, good policies and state support is vital for agriculture to develop and contribute to greater levels of economic prosperity.
Senior Agriculture Economist
First National Bank SA
- Read Speaker BioPaul Makube is a Senior Agricultural Economist at First National Bank South Africa. He leads agriculture market information and research. . With over 15 years’ experience in the industry, Paul has extensive expertise in the agriculture field, from lecturing at agricultural colleges to working at a research institution. He frequently provides analysis and commentary on developments in agriculture markets both domestically and internationally.Paul Makube holds a Bachelor of Agriculture (UNW, SA); B.Inst. Agrariae Honours in Agricultural Economics (UP, SA); BSc Hons (Agricultural Economics) (UFS, SA); and MPhil in Development Finance (US, SA).
Mrs Siphokazi Thiam
Rural Tourism Developers of South Africa
- Read Speaker BioSphokazi Thiam is an entrepreneur who has dedicated her life in developing the local tourism industries by showing strong characteristics such as commitment towards clients, staff, the hospitality industry and the community. She is the Director for Rural Tourism Developers of South Africa which is a private company powered by Lateranga Accommodation and conference Group. The companies’ main areas of commerce are developing and advancing rural areas through tourism development. They also offer advance art and culture, business development, access to market, access to funding and training.
Ms Gillian Mahange
National Development Agency
- Read Speaker BioMs Mahange is the Provincial Manager (PM) working for the National Development Agency in Limpopo Province. She started off her professional career in education, obtaining a Higher Diploma in Education from Giyani College of Education and a B. Ed (Hons) specialising in Training and Development at the University of Johannesburg. In 2000, her career focus shifted into community development when she joined the National Development Agency (NDA). Ms Mahange has been the Limpopo Provincial Manager for the past five years. Ms Mahange also holds a Master of Management Degree from University of Witwatersrand and a Post Graduate Diploma in Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies from University of the Western Cape.
During the past 20 years at the NDA, she has gained extensive experience and knowledge in executing development programmes including planning, formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation thereof. Part of her role includes the establishment of partnerships with other organisations in the development space at local, national and international level.
She currently leads a group of dynamic development practitioners who execute the NDA’s development service model by engaging with civil society organisations (CSOs) at the coal face of delivery to assess their development needs. The practitioners then assist the CSOs to formalise, formulate programmes for grant funding, capacity building and linkages to sustainability to enable them to implement these programmes within disadvantaged and poor communities in the province.
Over the years, the NDA has managed to reach rural and disadvantaged communities through CSOs by implementing sustainable livelihoods programmes such as food security, income generation, institutional capacity building, Early Childhood Development and health programmes.
The overall impact of NDA developmental programmes is that they contribute towards the eradication of poverty by creating employment and improved livelihoods for women, youth, children and people living with disabilities.
Mhani Gingi Social Entrepreneur Network
- Read Speaker BioMs Lillian Masebenza is the founder of Mhani Gingi (which means an industrious woman) Social Entrepreneurial Network which was launched in 2006. She was awarded an Ashoka Fellowship in 2008 for her innovative and inclusive social entrepreneurial work. Her passion is in Urban Agriculture, teaching especially women to propagate vegetables and herbs in order to eat nutritious food as well as generate income by selling the produce. Her career spans across organisations such as Old Mutual, Parliament and Ministry of Health where she held positions of Marketing & Sponsorship Manager and Communications Director respectively. She holds a B.A. Hons. Degree from UNISA in Communications and Marketing. She also obtained an Advanced Certificate in Leadership from the University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business (GSB). In 2015, she was awarded the most Influential Women in Business and Government awards, CEO Magazine Top Women in Business Gender Empowerment Companies and was finalist in the Venture Cup: The University Startup World Cup.
Tshilimagana Agricultural Cooperative
- Read Speaker BioMr Prince Khwerana, holds a National Diploma in Animal Production from the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) and he is the founder of Tshilimagana Agriculture Cooperative. He also has an agriculture consultancy firm that assist emerging cooperatives, schools and individuals who are interested in farming called The Golden Key Agri Consulting. After graduating from TUT, he partnered with 4 community members interested in maize farming in their village. The chief provided the cooperative with 23 hectares of land in 2010. They received a loan from the National Meat Producers and the National Development Agency (NDA) gave them a grant towards boosting their farming operations.
Ms Tumi Sefolo
Executive Direct Lending
Small Enterprise Finance Agency (SEFA)
- Read Speaker BioTumi Sefolo is the Executive: Lending at the Small Enterprise Finance Agency (sefa), an agency of the Department of Small Business Development. Tumi has over 20 years senior strategic management experience, coupled with BCom and MBA degrees. Her career spans the financial services, development finance, entrepreneurial development and business. Prior to joining sefa, Tumi was Investment Head at Masisizane Fund, an SMME development fund of Old Mutual. Tumi also held various roles at Old Mutual including Group Strategy for Old Mutual Emerging Markets. Tumi founded and was CEO of a consulting company for 8 years offering a variety of services including, comprehensive range of integrated executive search, assessment, employee benefit and payroll management services to both South African and international business organizations. During this period she developed a strong track record in the private and public sector.
Tumi is passionate about the empowerment of entrepreneurs and the transformation of the South African economy.
Head of Operations
Mosiamise Rural Development
- Read Speaker BioPrecious is a qualified Chartered Accountant and MBA candidate with over 13 years working experience in advisory services, audit, and finance and operations management.Her experience encompasses strategic planning, stakeholder management, financial accounting and taxation, financial data analysis, financial projection, and developing and advising on company governance structures, among other things. She has overseen the corporatisation of traditional communities, engaged with key stakeholders to develop and implement strategies for development within rural communities. Precious is a learner at heart and a collector of information and knowledge who values environments that enable her to grow, learn and unlearn. She enjoys solving puzzles, cooperative board games, when she is not running after her two children and smelly dogs.
Virtual: 12th Annual Rural Development Conference 8-12 November
R 4,588.50 Including VAT