The 7th Annual Fire Systems Design and Engineering Hybrid Conference, will be taking place on the 13th – 14th July 2021 in Cape Town. The event will consist of a combination of limited in-person attendance at the event and an online component to ensure compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
The aim of this annual conference is to ensure that participants remain up to date with developments and innovation related to fire systems design and engineering. This field requires mastery of all aspects of emergency planning, fire and life safety design engineering, fire systems engineering, security system design and proper application of fire codes, in an ever-changing environment. For instance, current circumstances are bringing about a conversion in use of buildings and spaces due to changing patterns arising from the COVID 19 pandemic and this raises the question – are the fire and safety standards of such buildings still adequate?
Specialist planners and experts, architects and engineers, employees of public authorities and fire departments as well as fire protection officers will converge in Cape Town to discuss innovative solutions and products for fire prevention and fire containment. This year’s event will offer exemplary insights in the practice and a forum where
you can meet other professionals, share experiences and exchange ideas. Our competent and experienced speakers and moderators will facilitate discussions and answer your questions.
Join us and enjoy this informative two days session.
- Read Speaker BioDineo is a Mechanical Engineer by qualification but has been practicing as a Fire Protection Engineer post qualification. She has worked for Fhatani Consulting Engineers and is currently employed at Arup Pty (Ltd.). She holds a master’s degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Cape Town and is currently doing her PhD in the FIRESUN research group at the University of Stellenbosch where she is conducting research in fire protection engineering, with a specific focus on sprinkler protection in timber structures. This is being done under the supervision of Dr. R Walls.
Head of Risk Engineering
Bryte Insurance Company
- Read Speaker BioComing from a long period of service with the Fire Services, Rob went into consulting in 1999 before joining the Insurance Industry, where he currently serves as the head of Risk Engineering with Bryte Insurance.
The Fire Engineer (Pty) Ltd
- Read Speaker BioKarel is director of The Fire Engineer Consultancy Company, with 29 years’ experience in the fire industry. His experience ranges from Code Prescriptive design, NFPA 101 & BS 9999 design to Performance-based fire engineering. Using computer aided CFD Fire Dynamics modeling simulation to Evacuation modeling simulation. He is well experienced in smoke detection, fire water, sprinkler, smoke ventilation and special risk fire suppression designs. He has managed numerous turnkey projects fire system installations, thus has good experience in testing, commissioning of different types of fire systems. Karel has built up extensive knowledge and experience as a fire engineer with the commissioning, interfacing and testing procedures of fire systems.
Dr Susan Lamont
Director Fire Egineering
- Read Speaker BioDr Lamont has worked in the fire protection industry for 19 years in the UK, USA, Middle East and South Africa. She is a chartered engineer and professional member of the Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE) and is currently the global technical leader for fire engineering at Arup. She has worked though all stages of design and construction on a range of projects from large assembly buildings, hospitals, schools, malls and offices to masterplans and transport hubs. Fire safety challenges associated with combustible materials of construction like timber and others in a circular economy are a focus for research at Arup as they strive to balance sustainability with fire safety.
SHEVS (Pty) Ltd
- Read Speaker BioRichard is an electrical engineer, educated the UWE UK. He came to RSA in 1984, at the height of anti-apartheid sanctions and disinvestment with BICC, then the world’s biggest cable manufacturer. By the end of his three year secondment, the future of South Africa’s cable industry had been secured. He stayed to raise his three children here. He founded SHEVS over a decade ago. SHEVS is the partner of Kingspan Light and Air International, who are the leader in the field of smoke ventilation, having acquired many firms, including Brakel, Colt, and STG Beikirch.
BDM – EMEA
- Read Speaker BioJustin has worked in the fire industry for nearly 30 years in a variety of commercial and sales management roles. For over 20 years, he has specialised in early warning technologies, such as VESDA, and most recently has focussed on Li-ion Tamer – THE solution for off-gas detection. He also has a working knowledge of suppression systems. Companies across Europe have trusted his detection expertise to help formulate their strategies to counter risk at the earliest stages of fire and gas events. He is an accomplished speaker and presenter.
Mr Rudolf Opperman
Technical Advisor: Architecture and National Building Regulations | National Regulator For Compulsory Specifications
- Read Speaker BioMr Rudolf Opperman is the Technical Advisor for Architecture and the National Building Regulations to the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications. The NRCS is also the Building Regulator on behalf of the Minister of the Department of Industry. Mr Opperman was a Building Control Officer in the employ of the City of Johannesburg for 17 years before joining the NRCS. During his tenure as an Assistant Director at the Building Control Department of the City, he honed his skills as a building regulator. Prior to his tenure with the City of Johannesburg he was
employed with the Architectural firm Osmond Lange as a Project Architect.
Rudolf Opperman left the architectural field after 6 years exemplary service, to take up a career within the regulatory environment. At the time of his departure from the Architectural profession, he had risen to the level of an associated partner in one of the bigger architectural firms within South Africa.
- Accredited by ECSA with 2 CPD points
The 7th Annual Fire Systems Design and Engineering Hybrid Conference
R 6,888.50 Including VAT