As greater industry demands unfold, BIM is emerging as a necessary process to promote leaner operations throughout a construction project’s lifecycle. Regardless of size, contractors are at the heart of the workflows and processes that see the greatest benefits from BIM.[read more=”Read more” less=”Read less”]
Adopters of BIM accrue competitive, financial and operational benefits with usage and mastery of BIM processes and technologies. Globally, construction companies represent the fastest-growing segment of BIM adopters and are leading the industry in innovative applications of the technology. Autodesk appreciates the opportunity to support meaningful research and analysis to learn from the industry and advance effective and efficient construction project management through BIM.
This two day conference will highlight lessons learnt from implementation and the role of BIM in supporting the operation of Projects. Financial metrics, such as reduced cost, higher profitability and higher productivity, are generally considered the most important category for measuring ROI on BIM investments, followed by metrics related to the project delivery process, such as fewer RFI’s, fewer unplanned changes, higher customer satisfaction and less disruption in project process.[/read]
Venue: Sandton, JHB, South Africa • Dates: 17 March 2016 (Master Class) 16 – 17 March 2016 (Conference)
- How to connect a construction site to the design and vice versa frequently and efficiently
- How to deploy BIM-based practices across a company
- How to focus on the key value-adding BIM applications
- How to instrument BIM-based design, planning, coordination, and construction processes to learn more quickly and comprehensively about how the work is progressing and where the major problems are
- How to leverage lean construction management methods for better control of material flows and construction work
- How to really connect BIM-based information with daily construction work and corresponding planning
- Read Speaker Bio“Royal HaskoningDHV is an independent, international engineering and project management consultancy with more than 130 years of experience in aviation, buildings, energy, industry, infrastructure, maritime, mining, rural and urban areas and water. Backed by the expertise and experience of 7,000 colleagues from 100 offices in 35 countries, our professionals combine global expertise with local knowledge to deliver a multidisciplinary range of consultancy services for the entire living environment. As part of the buildings business line within RHDHV, Hein serves as a multi‐disciplinary BIM technologist that incorporates architectural, mechanical, electrical and structural in an integrated BIM environment. He is currently undertaking his MSc in “BIM and integrated design” and with this knowledge obtained, he takes the lead within the BIM environment and influences all team members to embrace BIM technology with proper implementation and adoption processes without the disruption of current processes. He is a professional certified in Revit Architecture, M.E.P and BPA, ensuring accurate detail design, information modelling and construction documentation by embracing these state of the art design technologies.”
GM, Environmental Services and Director|GIBB Engineering & Architecture
- Read Speaker BioDr Urishanie Govender specialises in sustainability strategy formulation, environmental impact assessments, environmental management systems development and compliance evaluations. With over 23 years of experience in environmental management, she is a sustainability leader with a CV that expands from corporate environmental management to Government. Having previously worked at Pretoria Portland Cement (PPC), Gauteng Provincial Government and SA Mint; Urishanie has worked on and managed several large scale projects including the Eskom Nuclear Power Station EIA, Transnet Oreline Saldhanha Port and Ore Expansion Project and the Rustenburg Rapid Transport amongst others. Urishanie has also worked in several African countries including Zimbabwe, Botswana, Nigeria and Zambia and holds memberships at several professional associations. She was an Executive Member of the Coal Ash Association and Executive Member of the North West Air Pollution Committee, a Registered Practicing Environmental Scientist Professional and a Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) certified G4 Sustainability Practitioner.
BIM Manager Africa
- Read Speaker BioCraig is the BIM (Building Information Modelling) Manager for AECOM Africa, Building + Places Business Line, and holds a Master’s Degree in Architecture. Craig’s role forms part of a multi-disciplinary, consulting engineering team based throughout South Africa comprising of Architecture, Sustainability, Structural Engineering, Civil Infrastructure Engineering, Wets Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. Craig’s has been involved in the building industry for the last 12 years, and is currently involved with BIM Management on a number projects including; Mercedes Benz, BMW, PRASA and numerous private sector clients.
- Read Speaker BioHenk obtained a B.Ing in 1995 from RAU and registered as an ECSA Pr.Eng Structural Engineer in 2004. He is known for his passion to design and collaborate in the “Virtual 3D world” also known as BIM. Being at the forefront of applying technology to improve workflows in the design office and on the construction site is where you will find Henk. One of many quotes from Henk is:” A picture tells a thousand words and a model a million in the same time you speak ten.
- Read Speaker BioChris has been involved in various sectors of the construction industry since graduating with a Bachelor of Building Arts degree in 1994. Whilst working for a small design and build company he became interested in using 3D models to better coordinate the construction process, leading to the formation of A3D Technologies in 1999. He has since become a leading figure in the development of virtual construction planning and coordination. He has been involved in over 100 projects in the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, the UAE as well as South Africa, working on projects in various roles including providing pre-construction planning services on the likes of the Shard at London Bridge, Western Europe’s tallest building. He has an MSc in the Built Environment and is currently a PhD Candidate in Construction Management at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU), with his research focused on the BIM revolution occurring within the industry and impact on the business of construction. Chris lectures in the Department of Construction Management at NMMU, transferring knowledge learnt on the numerous projects he has been involved in to a new generation of construction managers, architects and quantity surveyors. In addition to the under-grad course known as Building Science: Environment & Services, he also presents lectures on planning and BIM to the Honours course and a module in the Masters course on project strategy and methodology for project managers. He is currently chairman of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) Eastern Cape and acts on the Construction Management Development Committee (CMDC), an advisory panel formed between the CIOB and South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP), whose focus is on developing construction management as a built environment discipline.
AEC Technical Manager
The CAD Corporation
- Read Speaker BioA specialist in the Architecture, Engineering and Construction industry, Gary is currently the AEC Technical Manager for The CAD Corporation. His comprehensive AutoCAD and Revit knowledge is supplemented with a strong understanding of other Autodesk technologies, document management, hardware and networking specializing in Autodesk® Revit® Architecture, and MEP, Gary is committed to helping clients achieve success in their software adoptions, training requirements and support. His architectural and building services experience spans over 8 years and has achieved the following Autodesk certifications; Revit Architecture Certified Professional, Autodesk Certified Instructor, AEC Application Engineer, Building Services Specialist and Consulting Specialist. As an implementation specialist Gary has worked with companies like Rawlins Wales & Partners, PDNA Mott McDonald, Standard Bank, OneZero and WSP Cape Town to name a few. He was also instrumental in the BIM strategy and transformation services offered to clients like; BILD Architects, Spoormaker & Partners, BIGEN Africa, and DSA Architects International.
Prokon Software Consultants
- Read Speaker BioAs a BIM evangelist Louis and his team has assisted consultants and contractors across industries to improve their workflows. He started out as a young engineer at Aurecon (then Van Wyk & Louw), quickly got involved with IT and moved to Prokon Software Consultants. There he started and still heads up the Autodesk Division where they consult to building and construction specialists worldwide. He is also passionate about education and Prokon dedicates time and staff to furthering education on all levels.
BIM Institute for Africa
- Read Speaker BioAs Executive Director for the BIM institute for Africa, Vaughan has been tasked to support and help deliver the standards and requirements of the Building Information Modelling (BIM) strategy for Africa and promote the processes and standards required to strengthen Africa’s construction software industry. The BIM Institute also serves as Africa’s business voice for the education community and owners who are working collectively with all information technologies in a construction management environment. Vaughan Harris has been in the construction industry for 23 years. He started out as a Quantity Surveyor with Grinaker-lta giving him a solid foundation to understanding and working with various processes and software systems in our industry. 12 Years later his career has led him to specialise in information management systems specific for construction, where he has had the opportunity to work for numerous international software giants in the UK and Australia. While working for RIB Project Centre, an Australian based company, he got the opportunity to capitalise on their clients strengths and understand how they patch and repair weaknesses in their processes that govern the flow of information. From 2008 to 2014, he managed a UK based company in South Africa in partnership with CCS (Construction Computer Software), one of the leading construction software houses in South Africa, where he gained seven years of extensive knowledge on their estimating and accounting software processes.
Chief Technology Officer for AEC
- Read Speaker BioJustin Taylor is amongst South Africa’s foremost experts in the practical implementation of BIM. Justin has over 26 years’ experience in working with Europe, UK and Africa’s leading AEC firms. Justin is devoted to helping advance the use and knowledge of BIM solutions within the AEC Community. He is an Autodesk Expert Elite Member and Certified Autodesk AEC Consultant. The Autodesk Expert Elite Program recognizes individual community members who have made extraordinary contributions with helping customers by sharing knowledge, providing community leadership, and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration that drives a healthy and valuable Autodesk customer community.
Mark Wainwright | Global Natural Resources Managing Director | Turner & Townsend
- Read Speaker BioMark Wainwright has extensive skills in the redesign of business processes, change management disciplines and strategic planning. His consulting career in mining and logistics has focused on – in particular: feasibility studies, cost reduction, productivity and business processes improvements, business model formulation and ERP implementation management.
Digital Leader | Built Environment
- Read Speaker BioJohn leads Aurecon’s Buildings global BIM initiative across 17 offices and is based in Sydney Australia. His measure is to craft and respond to a strategic BIM position, and see Aurecon trained and up-skilled to consistently and efficiently create, deliver, store and manipulate data, which is organised, and trustworthy. He is structural engineer with more than 25 years of international experience, the last 15 specialising in 3D and BIM delivery. As a past Secretary of the Revit User Group Sydney (RUGSyd), John has sat on steering committees for the Australian Institute of Architects (AIA), Consult Australia (CA), the Air Conditioning and Mechanical Contractors’ Association (AMCA) and Australian Steel Institute (ASI), and contributed to the National BIM Initiative for the Australian Federal Government. He currently advises Standards Australia on the subject of ISO BIM standards
Regional Director Engineering
- Read Speaker BioSteve is currently the Regional Engineering Director for Africa, Europe and the Middle East at Hatch. He leads a team of 350 engineers and designers who work on multiple, multi-disciplined projects. Steve has spent over 30 years in the Engineering Procurement Construction Management business working for various local and international companies. His experience includes the development of natural resource processing plants from concept studies, pre-feasibility studies, feasibility studies, detail design and specification, tender adjudication and construction supervision. Steve has experience as an EPCM lead engineer in mining processing plants, petro-chemical plants and iron & steel making plants (Columbus Stainless Steel & Saldanha Steel). Steve’s recent project experience includes the new Kumba Resources Sishen South 9mtpa iron ore processing plant, as Lead Civil and Structural Engineer responsible for design and construction management of all concrete and structural steel work. Another recent project, was new Anglo American PPRust North 600 ktpm platinum concentrator.
- Read Speaker BioBrent Godfrey is a Regional Manager for OPTRON operating out of the Cape Town office and has been with the company for the last 3 years. Brent qualified as a Civil Engineer from Cape Technikon, and has spent most of his career working as an Engineering Surveyor both in South Africa, and abroad. Whilst in the UK, Brent registered as a Chartered Surveyor with the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors and it was during this time, that Brent became familiar with the workings of the Trimble Equipment and the advantages that technology offers to production.
Business Development Director
- Read Speaker BioJohn is Business Development Director of BuildingPoint SA, which serves the Sub-Saharan Africa region and is dedicated to helping all involved in the Design-Build-Operate (DBO) lifecycle, to realize greater efficiency and profitability, through advanced and intuitive Trimble technologies. Following a Civil Engineering degree at Southampton University in the UK, John has worked as a Structural Engineer at Building Design Partnership, UK Sales Manager and then Regional Director for Africa at Tekla UK (formally CSC UK), before recently joining OPTRON in South Africa to head up their newly formed BuildingPoint division. John is an experienced sales professional with a proven track record in B2B technical sales, strategic marketing, sales management and account management, with a passion for new technology with the construction software field.
BIM / CAD Manager
- Read Speaker BioArchitecture, Architectural Technology and Business Management were the basis of his education and professional career. He ran an Architectural Practice for the first decade. New interests and studies of MCSE and related System IT courses saw him become a Certified Systems Engineer. Nicholas then worked for over 11 years in the Autodesk Channel, Autodesk’s African Tech Team and partner and Technical Director in BIM and Revit Product development software Company, during which time he was involved in Pre Sales, Post Sales, Training & high level implementation as a Certified Autodesk Revit and Autocad Professional and Trainer in the Autodesk EMIA Channel. He went back to Architecture full time where his Architectural, BIM and CAD experience and knowledge proved invaluable in creating large multidiscipline BIM Centered Medical and Commercial projects. He moved to ARUP in 2014 as BIM and CAD Manager for Southern African Build Region. Arup is a forward thinking International Engineering firm, leading and setting Digital and BIM Standards worldwide.
Shawn B Hopkins
- Read Speaker BioTopic: How manufacturer DATA can inform BIM workflows.
- I am an architect. I am a data curator.
- The importance of architects in the BIM process.
- Data + Geometry = informed response.
As an Architect, shawn is focused on a vision of ‘DESIGN INFORMING’ processes to increase workflow efficiencies and accuracies through the use of BIM. The mission is simply to create and curate an accurate virtual representation of our design responses to ensure lean construction can be facilitated in the real world build.
Through the BimBakery.co content development house, Shawn and his team focuses on connecting manufacturer data to smart geometry. The result of these developments is the opportunity to ensure accurate data authoring through the BIM processes, resulting in less instances of the same decision. SMART PRODUCT. INFORMED RESULTS.™
The BIM in Africa Conference 2016
R 10,338.50 Including VAT
Cost per Delegate Excluding VAT.
Standard booking R8990 or $1100 – January 2016 – February 2016
Late Booking R9990 or $1200 – March 2016
Lets get started…
Like what you see? Tell the world…