SOEs play a crucial role in achieving economic recovery and promoting sustainable economic development. They can play an important role in generating resources to solve the challenges of youth unemployment and poverty. When the state needs to bail out failing SOEs, such actions are bound to have negative social effects as resources are diverted away from critical public services such as education, health, and housing. SOEs are a useful tool to create growth, improve service delivery and create employment and they are yet to be utilised to their full potential.
This conference intends to gather local and international perspectives focused on interrogating ideal and successful methodologies in the administration and supervision of state-owned enterprises. Attend and contribute towards this all-important subject ,network and gain insights from industry peers to help navigate the challenges of today and tomorrow.
Venue: Cape Town, South Africa • Dates: 13 – 14 November 2019
Xitshembhiso Russel Mulamula
Dep. Director – SOEs Governance, Monitoring & Compliance | Limpopo Prov. Treasury
- Read Speaker BioI am a Board Member at Roads Agency Limpopo, Mandela Washington Fellow and M&G 200 Young South African 2018. In my daily work, I am the Deputy Director responsible for State Owned Companies (SOEs) governance and oversight within the Limpopo Provincial Treasury. I sit and play an advisory role in boards and audit committees. The five state owned entities for which I have oversight are Limpopo Economic Development Agency, Risima Housing Finance, Limpopo Tourism Agency, Great North Transport, Limpopo Gambling Board and Gateway Airport Authority. Furthermore, I analyse strategic plans and annual performance plans of the SOEs, monitor the application of the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA) & Treasury Regulations Compliance, coordinate and monitor consistent application of the Auditor General’s Action Plan, coordinate inputs from transversal stakeholders for the drafting of the treasury report and monitor legislative compliance by public entities i.e. Companies Act, King IV Report, South African Constitution and other related prescripts.
Africa Government & Public Sector Leader
- Read Speaker BioSandile is a Partner and the Market Segment Leader (MSL) for the Africa Government & Public Sector (GPS) at EY. He leads a core team of partners across Africa in executing a cross Service Line key accounts growth strategy in the government and public sector. He has over 22 years’ experience in capital raising, mergers and acquisitions, business turnaround, restructuring, commercial and business management in public and private sector. He specializes in key account executive leadership, client service delivery executive oversight and enabling engagement delivery alignment with the c-suite and board of directors.He is a CA(SA); holds a Post Graduate Diploma in Accountancy and a Bachelor of Accounting from the University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa.
- Read Speaker BioKalane has managed a variety of consulting projects for various public sector clients, including but not limited to financial management, project management, systems implementation, organizational development, performance management, strategic planning, business restructuring including mergers, decentralization initiatives, internal control reviews, etcetera. He has been involved in a number of transformational projects that included mergers of entities, designing new business and operating models, organizational designs, etc. He is also an experienced facilitator having been involved in the facilitation of a number of strategic planning workshops for a number of clients. He has co-facilitated workshops on behalf of Da Vinci University on strategy development using Systems and Design Thinking Approaches. He has also delivered a number of presentations to key Conferences (eg: IMFO, AfriCities Summit, etc) on strategy execution, digital transformation, new ways of working and future governance systems.
Cape Managing Partner
Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr Inc
- Read Speaker BioGasant Orrie is the Cape Managing Partner and a Director in Corporate and Commercial Practice at leading business law firm Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr. Focusing on corporate and commercial transactions (including mergers and acquisitions) in the hospitality and leisure, tourism and financial services sectors, Orrie has extensive experience working with clients (both in the public and private sectors), governments and public bodies across Africa. He has advised state-owned companies on regulatory compliance issues including the Companies Act/Regulations, Public Finance Management Act/Regulations, and related legislation and regulations. He has a special interest in Corporate Governance and has advised clients on corporate governance matters including advising in relation to directors’ duties, the Companies Act/Regulations and King Report, the preparation of board charters, and advice in relation to the establishment, role and functions and terms of reference of board sub-committees (including social and ethics committee, remuneration committee, risk management committee and audit committee). Orrie holds BA LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town. He completed an Executive Leadership Programme at Harvard Business School (Boston). Gasant is a Legal 500 (EMEA), Best Lawyers International South Africa and IFLR 1000 rated lawyer.
- Read Speaker BioA versatile practitioner, she represents state-owned enterprises and government departments, as well as international corporations and well-known local companies in a variety of sectors.With a firm grasp of the public sector environment, Hlengiwe provides strategic advice to government clients, and to private sector clients engaging in government commerce.She also has experience in advising on government regulatory, public finance and procurement related issues, that feed into the negotiation and contracting for classified, super-sensitive and mega projects. Hlengiwe has drafted tenders, business cases and legislation for diverse sectors.In her procurement and public regulatory, she provides advice on end-to-end procurement process and compliance review, drafting of tenders for publication, drafting of legal opinions and drafting and reviewing of legislation for implementation of projects. Clients also seek her out for her public finance expertise, specifically on drafting of business cases and motivation to both National and Provincial Treasuries for funding of projects for national government departments and state owned entities.
Credit & Equity Process Manager
Futuregrowth Asset Management
- Read Speaker BioOlga Constantatos is responsible for the management of the credit and equity investment process, which includes managing a team of 17 investment analysts, by ensuring that the process generates good quality, high-yielding assets for our clients’ funds. Olga is the Chairperson of the Credit Committee that made the decision to suspend lending to the six named SOEs in 2016, and she and her team authored the report SOE Governance Unmasked: A Learning Journey in February 2018. She has been part of the Futuregrowth team for over eight years. Her prior experience includes more than 17 years in credit risk, credit process and investment analysis. Olga holds a B.Bus.Sci (Finance) (Hons) and PGDipAcc from UCT and she qualified as a CA(SA) in 1999 after serving her articles with KPMG in Cape Town.
Partner : Audit
BDO South Africa Incorporated
- Read Speaker BioYugen graduated at the University of Natal-Durban in 2003 and has been in the accounting and auditing profession ever since. Yugen is a CA (SA) and FP (SA), and is currently a Partner at BDO South Africa, the 5th largest accounting firm in SA, which is also a network firm of BDO International. He has been focused on the public sector over the last 15 years and has audited and advised several municipalities, departments and SOE’s. Yugen has written several thought leadership articles and has frequently provided insight on audit outcomes and the state of SA’s economy.
Former Provincial Chief Risk Officer – Western Cape Government – Department of the Premier (DotP)
- Read Speaker BioBeulah holds and MSc Engineering Management from Warwick University (UK). She entered the Risk Management (RM) profession in 1988. Through and ever evolving profession in risk management, She served both in the private sector and public sector with organizations’ such as Eskom (1995-2005), Babcock International, Anglo Platinum, WorleyParsonsSA and the Western Cape Government – Department of the Premier (DotP). During 2014-2015 she participated in the King IV Working Groups and from 2015-2018 served on The SABS / TC 262 Risk management committee (SA Mirror Committee for ISO) in the revision of ISO 31000: 2018.
Mrs. Louise RP Shixwameni
Deputy Executive Director
Ministry of Public Enterprises Namibia
- Read Speaker BioMrs Louise Rebekka Penna Nambahu Shixwameni is a Deputy Permanent Secretary for the Ministry of Public Enterprises (MPE) in Namibia. Her leading role is to coordinate Public Enterprises(PEs) reforms; coordinate the development of integrated strategic business plans for all PEs, facilitate the development of corporate governance frameworks/guidelines, and monitoring corporate PE performance. She chairs the Board Nominating committee, a committee that is responsible for ensuring that a transparency process is ensured in the recruitment of Public Enterprises/SOE non-executive boards. Before joining MPE, She was a Director of Performance Improvement under the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM where she pioneered and led expert of the Performance Management System (PMS) and Strategic Business Planning development in the Namibian Public Service. Louise also co-facilitated development of Strategic Plans and the PMS from 2015 to 2017. In 2017, She was awarded the Namibia Businesswoman of the year 2017: Government and Community Category. She holds a Master’s Degree in Administration ,Bachelor’s Degree in Administration and Post Graduate Diploma in Management Consultancy Practice.
Zakariya Hoosain | Adviser, Previously Head of Provincial Treasury | Western Cape Government
- Read Speaker BioZakariya was the Head of the Provincial Treasury since 2015, where he was responsible for driving the Financial Governance strategy for the province. This included fiscal policy, integrated planning and budgeting, supply chain, transversal systems and reporting. He is a Chartered Accountant and Registered Auditor by Profession. Prior to that he was the branch head responsible for Governance and Asset Management where he drove the province’s clean audit strategy. Before joining the province, he was a partner at Mazars where he led the governance, risk and internal audit service lines. He has also served on several audit committees to improve governance and accountability. He is currently advising the Education MEC to improve governance around School Governing Bodies.
Antswisa Advisory and Private Equity
- Read Speaker BioMiyelani Mkhabela is a Macro Economist and Strategist for African Markets, with over 12 years of experience covering South Africa, emerging and frontier markets. He is a well-known commentator on the region, and has provided regular updates to central banks, finance ministries, African Embassies and sovereign wealth funds. He is a founding director of Antswisa Advisory and currently Antwisa Private Equity. He was a speaker at the Presidency NDP Vision2030 summit 2016 at the CEO led panel and Speaker at the BRICS Competition Commission Conference 2015 focusing on Competition strategy for BRICS economies. A regular commentator for domestic and global channels such as CNBCAFRICA, ENCA, SABC TV and Radios, China Global Television Network, Hong Kong TV, Voice of America TV focusing on emerging markets macroeconomics and political economy. Miyelani has covered the Budget speech, State of the Nations Address, SARB Monetary Policy Committee and other Economic Current Affairs since 2012 till current.
Freek van Zyl
Chief Financial Officer
Casidra SOC Ltd
- Read Speaker BioFreek holds Hons. B. Compt, CTA and CA (SA) and has been with Casidra since 1994. He heads the Finance and IT Team and serves as a Company Secretary. Further more, Freek is a Chairperson of the Multikor Pension and Provident fund. Freek’s extensive experience and dedication in finance and auditing sector has enable the Company to achieve its 30 Years of Unqualified Audit.
State Owned Enterprise Conference
R 12,638.50 Including VAT
Standard booking : 9990 till 31st October 2019
Late booking : 10990 November 2019